Wednesday, July 10, 2013

20week Half Training ... Begun

So I created my own hodge-podge mix for a training plan to get me ready for my first half this fall.  I'm planning on using Hal Higdon's novice plan but it is a 16 week plan and it expects you to be comfortably running 3-4 miles at least 3 times a week. And I can't.  So I created a plan that mimics his routine only starts with 1.5 mile runs and slowly builds to the 3 mile runs.  Mondays are stretch and strengthen (which I didn't do) and Tues/Thurs/Sun are runs with cross-training every other day.  Whew. I should just upload the doc, that would have been much easier. Oh well.
Did I mention that E got me a Garmin???!?  I am excited and have found how to use it to better my runs while in midst of running.
Anyways, so when I've gone running up til now, it was one mile runs. I typically run 12-12:30min/mile.  Lately though they've been right under 12.   Today I ran 1.5miles in 18minutes.  The first mile I ran straight then walked 30 sec, ran 2 min, walked 1 min, ran 2 min.  I like the idea of run/walk as needed. I could definitely see the benefits of giving my body a break. I think I'll continue the 2/1 at the one mile mark until I feel at one mile that I don't need that break, and keep building endurance until my mileage grows.  But who knows.
For now though...2.5miles in for the week! Woohoo. Tomorrow is weigh day and to be honest I haven't thought abt the scale in a whole, uh oh.   We'll see how that worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment